in Adobe pdf format for download
Do I need to be a member to have my child baptized? No, you do not need to be a member. However, since baptism is the beginning of a life long relationship with God, we feel it is important for you to be worshiping with us on a regular basis. And, since in baptism your child becomes a member of the Christian family as a whole and Grace Lutheran, we would hope you want to become a member. Membership classes are offered twice a year.
How do I become a member of Grace?
Visitors to Grace often ask how to become a member. First of all, please know that you don’t have to become a “member” of Grace to worship, participate, and benefit from our ministries. You are welcome to be a part of the Grace family and share in our life and work together without becoming an “official” member.
If you choose to become a member of Grace, however, that’s great! We’d love for you to make Grace your church home. At Grace we believe that membership means something significant and important. It means that you’re in agreement with what we believe and teach. It also means that you want to be committed and involved in the Lord’s work through our congregation. Members are expected to:
- Grow in their faith through Bible study and prayer
- Use their gifts, talents, and blessings to care for and serve others
- Share the forgiving love of Jesus Christ with others.
Becoming a member of Grace requires prayerful consideration and the pastor and any member of Grace is willing to speak with you about this, just ask. . .or give any of us a call or send us an email!
Congregations help Christians to grow and serve. Our mission is to help people to become fully devoted followers of Jesus Christ. We want everyone to know and experience the peace, hope, joy, and purpose that comes from knowing Jesus as Savior and Lord. Jesus said, “I have come that you might have life and have it to the full.”
The following are the basic steps toward meaningful, committed membership in the work and ministry of our Lord through Grace Lutheran Church.
- The first step towards committed membership at Grace is to begin attending worship on a regular basis. Worship is at the heart of our life together as God’s people at Trinity. In worship, people strengthen and deepen their relationship with Jesus Christ. In worship, God is at work forgiving, renewing, directing, teaching, and inspiring us. We are at work confessing, loving, praising, and praying. Worship is the “heartbeat” of the Christian life. We expect followers of Christ who are members of this congregation to be active and faithful in worship. This is the first and best place to get to know who we are and what we are all about as a church.
- We encourage every person interested in joining our congregation to attend the Grace 101 class. If you are a member in good standing with another LCMS congregation we will receive you through transfer. Request a transfer from your previous congregation and we will receive this transfer at our next Elder’s meeting. Even if transferring from another Lutheran congregation or not we encourage every person interested in joining Grace to complete the course, “Grace 101”, described below.
- The third step is “Membership Sunday”, where you will be received as a new member of the Grace family by confirmation, reaffirmation, or transfer.
About “Grace 101”
Whether you’re a lifelong believer or interested in finding out more about Christianity, this 10-week class is for you. Together, we’ll explore Christ’s gracious invitation of a personal relationship with God and the Spirit-filled life of following Christ as his disciple as well as the various shapes that takes here at Grace. Grace 101 is for anyone who would like to attend, but is especially for those considering membership at Grace. Attending Grace 101 does not obligate you to become a member.
The goals of Grace 101 are:
- To lay a grace foundation for living. For the unconvinced or new believer, it’s a way to be introduced to life with Jesus. If you’ve already been living life with Jesus, our prayer is that our time together brings new perspective and renewal as you learn more about grace in the context of our ever-changing lives. Whether the teaching is new or brings renewal, it is God’s grace that motivates us to grow in the journey of faith as fully devoted followers of Jesus and is foundational for our life together at Grace.
- To build relationships with others new to Grace and with the people of Grace. Grace is a community of faith gathered together to share God’s grace.
- To explore the various facets of Grace’s mission and ministries.
- To identify one’s spiritual gifts and become meaningfully involved in the life of Grace.
The Grace 101 class is offered twice a year. Once in the fall and once in the spring. Please let us know if you’re interested. Childcare is available. Call 283-1843 to register or for more information.